Becoming a Firefighter in Toronto
To become eligible for consideration for work in a fire division inside the Ontario fire solution, here IS required:
- Should be 18 years or older at the time of application.
- Legally entitled to benefit any employer in Canada (citizen/landed immigrants).
- Free of any unlawful convictions that a pardon will not be approved.
- Have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD –Grade 12) or academic equivalency.
- Power to work with turning shifts, including evenings, vacations and vacations.
- Speak, read and compose English fluently, and communicate plainly and exactly under demanding, high-pressure.
- Have a Standard medical certificate and a CPR degree HCP (for medical care Providers) dated only year prior to the closing time of application and maintained current within 12 months for the recruitment and choice procedure.
To be entitled to consideration for work in a fire division inside the Ontario fire solution, a municipality might require you to have the following credentials.
Please note that every municipality into the province of Ontario is in charge of their very own hiring criteria and it's also the obligation associated with applicant to ensure that they have been alert to the hiring criteria whenever submitting a credit card applicatoin for work.
- Pre-Service Fire Fighter Knowledge & Training Program Official Certification, OR
- NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter we & II certified from an accredited system from a recognized organization, approved because of the International Fire provider Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or even the Pro Board, otherwise
- OFM curriculum elements 1, 2 and 3 with examination certificate, OR
- Minimum couple of years knowledge as a full-time firefighter in a municipal fire division, OR
- Minimal five years knowledge as a part-time firefighter in a municipal fire department.
- Possession and maintenance of a legitimate unrestricted Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License. Eligibility is determined by the prospect having no more that two (2) infractions (maximum of just one going and something non-moving belief).
- Some municipal fire services request an Ontario “D-Z” driver’s licence at the time of application and/or within a timeframe of this hiring time. Individuals with more than 6 demerit points tend to be ineligible for consideration. Please be aware it is the candidate’s responsibility to acquire this licence. Expenses associated with getting the Ontario “D-Z” driver’s licence may be incurred because of the prospect. When you yourself have a “D-Z” licence, you really must have less than three (3) CVOR demerit things and/or infractions three years ahead of start time.
- Tread water or swim test.
Knowledge and skills that act as a secured asset in your application range from:
- Completion of higher-level EMS medical and/or medical education.
- No less than one 12 months of prior full time work experience, fire suppression, building, investments, technical, disaster medical, big car procedure or fire avoidance relevant knowledge.
- Fluency in an extra language or sign language.·
- Community service participation.
All people to a career firefighter place within the Ontario fire solution must complete some tests to be considered eligible to perform safely and competently as a firefighter in Ontario. These tests can sometimes include aptitude and social skills examinations, vision and hearing assessment, physical (clinical) evaluation many as a type of technical skills assessment.
Information on the OFAI tests are supplied into the description of your application procedure.
Individuals provided a position/conditional offer of employment are needed to undergo a health check. Work research checks are carried out, recorded proof of your knowledge could be needed and candidates is necessary to (at their own expense) provide a current unlawful research check, including a vulnerable sector search, proof a valid unrestricted “D-Z” driver’s licence and a driver’s abstract. Candidates may also be necessary to provide reported proof of vaccinations.