How to apply for the Fire Service?
Thank-you for the desire for joining the Philadelphia Fire Department. We have been constantly seeking to recruit new people to our team.
Getting a firefighter, paramedic or being employed as a civilian requires give up, respect, and courage.
Please review this part to know about our available positions. Again, thank you for your interest !
You'll go to the City of Philadelphia's Personnel division website at
Discover more about jobs for:Basic level Selection Process and Requirements
(1) All people must apply for, just take, and pass a civil solution evaluation. The type of examination, written or other structure, is noted on the task statement for a certain task course, in other words. Firefighter or Fire Service Paramedic, when these examinations are established. If successful on the evaluation, your title should be put on the right number in rank order of overall rating. Civil provider exams are typically launched every 2 yrs. Programs are just acknowledged during available recruitment durations. Certain assessment announcements can be accessed from City’s internet site at
(2) you don't have become a Philadelphia resident to take the assessment; but you need to come to be a citizen within six months after hire.
(3) if your position regarding the qualified list is achieved, you will be certified for processing. Processing includes:
- an evaluating interview with departmental associates.
- a drug test
- a court records examination
- A-work history background examination
- Qualifications assessment
- Driver’s license assessment
- Assessment because of the State of Pennsylvania for EMT certification endorsement for Firefighter individuals
- Verification as a State qualified Paramedic for Fire Service Paramedic people.
(4) you should be a top school graduate or have a general equivalency diploma (G.E.D.) for Firefighter and Fire Service Paramedic roles. You have to in addition posses a legitimate Pennsylvania drivers license.
(5) effective prospects will likely be supplied a conditional offer of visit and must pass an extensive medical examination prior to last session as a Firefighter or Fire Service Paramedic.
(6) All recently appointed Firefighters and Fire provider Paramedics must provide a one year probationary duration, efficient the time of visit.
(7) brand new Firefighters get about sixteen (16) weeks of EMT and fire suppression education during the Philadelphia Fire Academy before graduating and getting an industry project.
(8) New Fire Service Paramedics receive roughly six (6) days of instruction on Philadelphia Fire Academy and an internship with an Advanced life-support (ALS) Medic product before project as a probationary Fire Service Paramedic in an area Medic device.