Ridge Volunteer Fire Department
In January 1956, a little band of residents for the former District 7 in Southern Fayette went to a gathering to set the groundwork when it comes to formation of just what would end up being the Oak Ridge Volunteer Fire Department.
Collecting at the previous Federal School on Thoms Run Road (now occupied because of the Federal Firearms Co.), the 30 residents' region included domiciles on Battle Ridge path, Federal, Dutch Hill and Union Avenue Extension leading into Oakdale.
Bridgeville-Oakdale Road (later renamed Oak Ridge Road in recognition of the fire department) additionally had been included and later became the fire organization's title.
Temporary officers elected at the meeting were Felix Mazek, president; John Bosi, vice-president; Fred Pagliai, tracking secretary; John Dulenc, monetary assistant; and Louis Reinstadtler, treasurer.
On Feb. 1956 meeting, the brand new fire division ended up being christened the Oak Ridge Volunteer Firemen's Association of South Fayette Township and, in May, had been chartered because of the state and county.
A few months later on, the Homeville Volunteer Fire division of West Mifflin donated a 1927 United states LaFrance pumper towards the recently organized team.
Range officials were elected in-may 1956 with James Hormel becoming 1st chief and Dan Meehan, assistant main. Also at the moment, Mr. and Mrs. William Taylor, residents of Oak Ridge path, agreed to rent free a building to accommodate the fire gear.
The Taylors' offer ended up being gratefully acknowledged.
Truly the only auxiliary in the township, its fundraising attempts included card parties, cake bingos, dances, seafood fries and dinners.
The team financed the inclusion of a well equipped kitchen and other building improvements, including air conditioning and an acoustic ceiling.
They was previously accountable for all the meals expenditures and preparation of same when it comes to department's historical Monday evening bingo.
The women Auxiliary disbanded in 2008 on top of that Oak Ridge discontinued its bingo.
In Summer 1957, a parcel of land bordering Oak Ridge Road was purchased from Mrs. Henrietta Meyer, a long-time South Fayette citizen, and in 1960, building of a fire hallway at Oak Ridge Road started.
The firefighters provided a lot of the labor, finishing the building in 1961. Two improvements were constructed in 1977 and 1986.
An electronic indication at the entrance towards VFD complex was erected by B.J. Supan, a 2014 graduate of South Fayette senior school and junior firefighter just who finished the task within their Eagle Scout requirements.
1st brand new little bit of firefighting gear bought ended up being a 1960 Ford 750 gallon-per-minute pumper.
Various other equipment consist of a 2002 Overseas rescue pumper, a 2003 Ford vehicle and a 2007 Pierce pumper.