Level Volunteer Fire Department
On February 6th, 1953, your home of Mr. Eugene Hoshall, positioned near the neighborhood of Level, Maryland ended up being damaged by fire. Thus, residents of this community felt they needed seriously to arrange their own volunteer fire organization.
Twelve times following this fire, about 100 interested citizens from degree and nearby places, along with visitors from other nearby fire businesses, held a gathering in personal hallway associated with Rock Run Methodist Church to plan the very first measures in developing a volunteer fire business. Due to this conference, a committee was created and another conference associated with the committee had been arranged.
Very first, this committee had to decide upon a name when it comes to new-fire business - Community Volunteer Fire business. Next, the committee elected a board of commissioners and a slate of officers, among have been Mr. William Williams, President, and Mr. Bob Knight, Fire Chief. The committee then learned that a used tank truck could possibly be bought through the Bel Air Volunteer Fire business.
On Marcy 4th, 1953, a second basic meeting of interested residents happened in addition to suggestions regarding the committee had been heard and accepted with a unanimous vote. Additionally, only at that meeting, 80 individuals taken care of immediately the invite to be charter people inside recently formed fire business.
On March 9th, 1953, the people in town Volunteer Fire Company got their first work out in fire combat. Firemen from Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company gave a demonstration at a reservoir belonging to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad at nearby Swan Creek.
The plans to choose the utilized truck through the Bel Air Volunteer Fire business had been finalized on April first, 1953. Therefore, the newest fire organization at degree now possessed a tank truck - a 1939 Dodge. But considering that the firehouse hadn't yet already been built, arrangements had been built to maintain the vehicle in Chief Bob Knight's auto fix garage.
Some thing very odd happened on the first night that fire vehicle ended up being kept in Chief Knight's garage. Had been it given that it ended up being April 1st - April Fools Day? We have no idea, however the newly acquired fire fighting car had been placed into solution that really evening. Where? At a chimney fire in very garage in which it absolutely was parked.
Dedication and hard work triggered plans to become activity quickly for the newly organized fire business at Level. Because of the end of April 1953, work have been began to develop the recommended firehouse on a plot of floor that had been donated by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Taylor.
The Construction regarding the new firehouse ended up being done totally because of the users. The males worked steadily for long hours at any given time, and on March sixteenth, 1954, the fire business held it's very first conference in it's brand-new building.
The initial elected officials had been: President William Williams, owner of this Aldino Store, Treasurer George Bradfield, proprietor of this degree shop, and Chief Robert "Bob" Knight of amount Garage.
a women auxiliary ended up being organize may 21st, 1953. On February 14th, 1955, an utilized 1942 Cadillac Ambulance had been gotten through the Joppa-Magnolia Fire Company and an ambulance service ended up being begun.
During 1965 and 1966, an innovative new kitchen was built throughout the straight back of the initial fire section. Your kitchen steps 12 ft. deep by 32 ft. very long with a 10 ft. by 12 ft. storage space space attached.
On October 2, 1973, Community Volunteer Fire business, Incorporated changed it's title to amount Volunteer Fire Company, Incorporated.
In December 1973, a building committee was created to guage the feasibility of an inclusion to the current building. After numerous months of various proposals, the committee again approached Mr. and Mrs. Charles Taylor in buying extra home right beside the fire place. After acquiring the excess home, the committee established in construction of this brand new building. The Harford County federal government had been approached in acquiring a building loan, however that demand ended up being denied. Several members of our business assisted into the funding regarding the structure. Again all work had been carried out by the people in the company. However, aided by the help of various exclusive contractors, many construction hurdles were overcome at no cost towards business. Throughout the construction associated with the building the particular level Ladies Auxiliary ready and served house style dinners on Saturdays into males. The females would constantly provide products and hot coffee each day. Surface had been damaged September 14th, 1974 for a new device room and banquet room adjoining the initial building. The structure measured 102.8ft. by 120 ft.
In 1985, a FMC / Spartan Gladiator, a 10 guy cab, ended up being purchased, therefore getting the first of the type in the county and state throughout volunteer fire organizations.
On August 25th, 1990, Lieutenant Thomas Weeks ended up being killed answering a fire telephone call. Lieutenant Weeks ended up being the first county fire fighter become killed into the distinct duty.
The newest station was dedicated on May 23rd, 1998. The Harford County government through county money enhancement tasks presented degree Volunteer Fire Company with a check for 700, 000 dollars. The sum total price upon conclusion had been 1.9 million dollars. This new structure provided around 25, 340 sq. ft. of living area.
1957 Membership Picture
They're the women and men which developed degree through the ground up. Encouraged by a single fire inside their neighborhood, they created something out-of absolutely nothing using their bare hands and a good might. These men and women shall be remembered for their persistance and efforts. They'll sit as a reminder when discover a will, discover an easy method.
W. Carroll Craig, Jr.